(1) Control Your Weight : Excess weight is the single most important cause of type 2 diabetes. Being overweight increases the chances of developing type 2 diabetes seven fold. Being obese makes you 20 to 40 times more likely to develop diabetes than someone with a healthy weight.
(2) Get Moving—and Turn Off the Television : Inactivity promotes type 2 diabetes. (16) Working your muscles more often and making them work harder improves their ability to use insulin and absorb glucose. This puts less stress on your insulin-making cells.
(3) Tune Up Your Diet : Four dietary changes can have a big impact on the risk of type 2 diabetes.
1. Choose whole grains and whole grain products over highly processed carbohydrates.
Whole grains are also rich in essential vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals that may help reduce the risk of diabetes.But what we are taking it is polished rice.Thus I used to advice “zero rice”
2. Skip the sugary drinks, and choose water, coffee, or tea instead.
3. Choose good fats instead of bad fats.The types of fats in your diet can also affect the development of diabetes. Good fats, such as the polyunsaturated fats found in liquid vegetable oils, nuts, and seeds can help ward off type 2 diabetes. Trans fats do just the opposite. These bad fats are found in many margarines, packaged baked goods, fried foods in most fast-food restaurants, and any product that lists “partially hydrogenated vegetable oil” on the label. Eating polyunsaturated fats from fish—also known as “long chain omega 3” or “marine omega 3” fats—does not protect against diabetes, even though there is much evidence that these marine omega 3 fats help prevent heart disease. If you already have diabetes, eating fish can help protect you against a heart attack or dying from heart disease & prevents MACULAR DEGENERATION. Thus I advice sea fish like ilisha,pamphlet,khanga,chandi,vekti,kani etc.
4. Limit red meat and avoid processed meat; choose nuts, whole grains, poultry, or fish instead.The evidence is growing stronger that eating red meat (beef, pork, lamb) and processed red meat (bacon, hot dogs, deli meats) increases the risk of diabetes, even among people who consume only small amounts. The latest support comes from a “meta analysis,”
7. Stay lean and stay active. Prevents diabetes:8. Type 1 diabetes cannot be prevented. But up to 80 per cent of cases of Type 2 diabetes can be delayed or prevented by making simple changes in our everyday lives.
12. TAKE TWO LEMONS A DAY KEEPS THE DIABETES AWAY.
13.IF YOU HAVE FAMILY HISTORY OF DIABETES TO PREVENT DIABETES TAKE 1TSF OF METHI POWDER DAILY IN THE MORNING.
DR PREMANIDHI PANDA,M.D(MED),HON PhD IN DIABETES,MRCP,FRCP has completed his M.B.B.S at the age of 24 years from Berhampur University, India and postdoctoral studies,M.D(MED) from UTKALUniversity School of Medicine. He is the director of Prof. Panda DIABETES INSTITUTE,INDIA, a premier DIABETES HOSPITAL CUM RESEARCH CENTRE,INDIA.He has worked in TISCO HOSPITAL,INDIA,BENGHAZI MEDICAL(LIBYA),MEDWIN HOSPITAL With Repute.He has been awarded as “INDIA’s BEST DOCTOR AWARD:-2013(DIABETES)” BY MEDGATE TODAY SURVEY.He Has been Awarded MRCP,FRCP BY ROYAL COLLEGE OF PHYSICIAN AND SURGEON. He has published more than 20 papers in reputed journals and serving as Director of Prof. Panda DIABETES INSTITUTE,INDIA. He has been awarded several National & International awards contribution in diabetes.